Wednesday, June 13, 2012

2-Wednesday: Familiar Faces/On A Stick

Today, I was reassigned from the Eastern sector and to report in to the Main Branch.

Okay... maybe that was a bit too formal :P
But yes, I was told to head to Mount Alvernia today rather than to Parkway East. And a surprise: there were a number of familiar faces on the reception and nursing teams - Amelia, Agnes, Maria and others - who had gone to Parkway East on rotation. Yay! Not feeling like an odd duck today!

For part of the day, I sat in with Dr Cheng. For the rest, it was spent refamiliarising with the different instruments and routines they have at Mount Alvernia... Especially at handling patients for multiple doctors.

Lunch: ahhh yes - the staff coupon system. At Mount Alvernia, the staff canteen sells prepaid coupons meal vouchers for S$2.20... and not all the meals are bad :P. Today's menu for the Muslim meal is chicken satay with lontong rice cake. Now I haven't (yet) found out what exactly is lontong rice, but this 'rice cake' is the final result (the triangular chunks of white ricey stuff buried amongst the cucumbers).

Tonight: heading solo! Where to go? Back to familiar haunts!

Over the summer, when I was here, my uncle took me to 'Lau Pa Sat' ('Old Bazaar') - a closed street filled with tables, chairs, diners and satay sellers. Here you could get pretty much any type of satay possible: beef, chicken, mutton are your usual suspects, but duck satays and mushroom satays were on the menu as well, I noticed.
After my delicious dinner, I realised on my iPhone Maps that I was only a short hop away from Marina Bay, and the Sands Hotel. So... what better than to go and enjoy a post-dinner walk, and also get a good bayside view!

Loading up: I got a Teh Tarik Iced from the kopitiam (cafe/drinks) stall before I went...

So like I said: the rest of the night was spent around the Marina Bay sector! The Art Science Museum, then Marina Bay Sands Hotel were two of many highlights. The below images are remarkable, if I may say so - 30 second exposure, camera was left on a makeshift platform... and just loving those red streaks of the water taxis going by...



 I'm still not sure what "the Durian" is about - but it's pretty at night!

Walking down alongside the Promenade, and glimpses of the water features near Fullerton Hotel:

Scenes from Merlion Park:




And across the harbour: the Laser Show!





A few last shots of the sector:

The Singapore Flyer


One of many Water Taxis
Stadium for the National Day Parade in early July

Lastly, a few street scenes along the way home =)

Bus ticket machine, I think.





No comments:

Post a Comment