Monday, June 4, 2012

Work Day! (Day 1)

So the time has come. This time last week, I was in Sydney, stressing about my CfEH oral exam, my Therapeutics case report, group Literature Review... simply too much. Now, Singapore... here I come!

The Three of us headed downstairs, having our included breakfast at the Poolside cafe. Buffet breakfast it was, with 'Chicken Ham' and 'Chicken Bacon'. Products courtesy of Malaysian influence, I suspect :)


Hurrying over to the MRT station, we hopped over to Novena MRT and caught the Shuttle service over to Mount Alvernia Hospital. It was lucky we found out about it yesterday, so we got there with time to spare.

Heading inside, we met our contact Shandy, who introduced us to the rest of the Optometric team. Over the next two hours, Cherry and the intern Alaric familiarised us with the equipment used at the Eagle Eye Centre. Next thing we knew, lunchtime was around, and we followed Andy the receptionist to the hospital canteen. Yes - we had to help: carting about 30 lunchboxes back to our staff room of everybody. The canteen offered a variety of meals with the menu published a week in advance: Western, Chinese, Muslim and Vegetarian.



The afternoon was more hectic: saw my first patient in the afternoon and measuring her VAs and eye pressure (NCT), of course. Then Ryan, the chief Optom, called us over to watch Dr Theng perform surgery: implantation of an anterior-chamber IOL.
We took turns, with two of us observing the procedure for one eye, then the other two for the other eye. After this, I was whisked away. Or as I put in: EXILED!

Ryan had briefly discussed this with us earlier: compared to last year, they had double the number of students: having the four of us (who weren't going to refract) standing by in the Main Clinic would be rather pointless and meaningless (for us). So Eva and I volunteered to travel out and get a bit of experience at their other Clinics: Mount Elizabeth Hospital (within the city center, and 5 mins from our place), and at Parkway East Hospital, some 30mins away by MRT and bus.

Downstairs we went: Ryan, me and the Doc's two assistants, hopping into the Doc's Lexus for a drive to Parkway East Hospital. Over there, I saw my 2nd patient and also met Jingjing, another optometrist. Anyhows, we finished early by 4pm (as planned) and headed back down to catch a cab over to Mount Elizabeth Hospital. Over there, I saw my 3rd patient (yay me, VA and IOP with a Visual Field), before heading home at 5.30pm... Just a short walk ;)

What to do tonight? The others finished work and suggested we head over to ION Orchard. Inside, I found a Nespresso store, and got a tube of strong decaf for S$9.10, so that I can play with the Nespresso machine back at our apartment =).

Dinner tonight: Beef Pho from the Vietnamese stall. With so much to choose from, sticking with the basics and having a filling meal was my priority... more time to try the fancy stuff later!
Dessert: chendol with durian. To be honest, it wasn't great, simply the frozen bean drink (chendol) with some durian paste slobbered over it. However the highlight of the evening was Andy exclaiming with disgust after sampling the durian portion - "that tastes like fart!!"

Well, that's it for a day. Stay tuned for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment